Sisterlocks-Look I am a beautiful butterfly

I have been in a natural hair cocoon for seven years. I started this blog to chronicle the life and times of my sisterlocks. And from time to time any other random thing that suites my fancy or draws my ever so curious mind. You are welcomed to drop me a comment anytime and feel free to link to this blog. ***Please do not copy my photos without my expressed permission***

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

DreamGirls!


I had to blog about my DreamGirls movie experience. Like most, I have heard the music all of my life however, I was not old enough to truly enjoy the fullness of the Broadway musical 25 years ago. This movie experience was really, fresh for me. Two words… Jennifer Hudson! This is the issue people; I went to see the movie TWICE in one day. You read right, twice. Both times I got my tickets in advanced, good thing, the lines were out of control for both showings.

When Jennifer Hudson sang, “And I am telling you”…my glasses were foggy, during both showings. No words, just tears.... She puts her “foot” in that song. The raw emotion is palpable.

So, why the second showing? I needed to see Jennifer’s performance again. I called, my sister to tell her I was going again, and her response was, “Of course you are.” My family knows, when I love something, I love it. My best friend reminds me on our undergrad days often, it would be time for bed and I would put in my Boyz -2-Men CD. I only played, “End of the road,” before I went to bed. (Every night …”we belong together and you know that I am right, how could you play with my heart, how could you play with my mind?”) Then, I would be lulled to sleep…hmmmm.

So this Christmas, in anticipation of another big crush, my three year old godson (he always picks out the best gifts for his Auntie), gave me the DreamGirls double CD. I have been playing this CD all today, looping all of Jennifer Hudson songs. She better get an Oscar, period.

11 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said…

    I can't wait to see the movie. I seen the play back in middle school and I think my school's drama team did a very good job! Although I haven't seen the movie yet I think it would be great for Jennifer to get an Oscar because I heard so many great reviews.

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Ms Stella said…

    Girl you crazy! I saw the movie and loved it too. Jennifer Hudson is the truth! I thought I was the only one tearing up when she sang the song. I can't wait until I can buy the DVD.

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Tafari said…

    I am going to see it again this weekend. It was the Bomb!!! I could have easily sat through two showings.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Jena Evans said…

    Well go ahead and say it...

    Maryee and I wanted to go see Dreamgirls, but it is not showing in Waco, TX. Big bummer for us... Thank you for the post about it. The reviews we read say similiar things.

    Congrats on your locs, Soror, and have a Blessed and Wonder-filled NEW YEAR!

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger CloudNine said…

    Jena...it is not playing in Waco? I am too sorry to hear that. I heard it was in limited release so let's keep our fingers crossed, it may be in your neck of the woods soon...

    Happy New Year to you as well Soror. Be Blessed!

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Mel said…

    Happy New Year!
    I shall look out for this film when it crosses the Atlantic.

    Mel

    I have put a link to your blog from mine - I hope this is OK

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger Cluizel said…

    Wow...am I the only one who hasn't seen the movie yet?!? I guess I should put the puppy down at some point and go see it...

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jena Evans said…

    Cloudnine,

    Maryee and I drove up to Ft. Worth to see Dreamgirls. We enjoyed Jennifer and Eddie. It was worth the time to get out of the "CO" as the children so affectionately have nicknamed Waco.

    Thanks for this post. It was the motivation we needed to take a road trip.

    Be blessed~

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    I agree - this was Jennifer's movie which she rightfully stole. But I was surprised that I actually liked Beyonce's performance considering she was much more understated than we usually see her. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Dee said…

    Dag and I said I wasnt going to see it, afraid all the Hype was just that Hype...but now you got me on my way...Thanks for sharing

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Blogger Maryee said…

    Jennifer better get an Oscar. Period! Nuff said!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home