Sisterlocks-Look I am a beautiful butterfly

I have been in a natural hair cocoon for seven years. I started this blog to chronicle the life and times of my sisterlocks. And from time to time any other random thing that suites my fancy or draws my ever so curious mind. You are welcomed to drop me a comment anytime and feel free to link to this blog. ***Please do not copy my photos without my expressed permission***

Sunday, November 26, 2006

My mama came to visit me!





In the previous post I mentioned my Mother. Well she came to visit me! I decided to do a brief post about her. My mother is creole from Louisiana. In the late 1950's her mother followed my grandfather north. But, my grandmother never really adjusted to the "climate." And upon her wishes she was flown back to Shreveport when she passed. Talking to my mother you really get a great idea of how it felt growing up and being different. Blonde hair and fair skin were very rare traits among my mothers friends in the North (back home she fit in like a glove). I think we all go through that stage where we are trying to find who we truly are. Needless to say there are plenty of pictures with her hair dyed black or brown to tone down the blonde. After years of hiding her natural color she accepted her hair for what it was, uniquely hers. She went to my first sister-locks consultation with me and loved my consultant and the process...let's keep our fingers crossed:)

I inherited a cross between both my parents hair and skin. My mothers hair is naturally blond and very course. Her afro's were beautiful and full. I remember her being very afro-centric and proud as I grew up, she helped foster this characteristic in me. My fathers hair is dark, soft and fine (like most daddy's in the seventies he rocked the huge side burns) The picture above is the two of them at senior prom.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your Momma is very beautiful.

     
  • At 3:07 AM, Blogger brunsli said…

    That's exactly what I was going to comment!

    Now we know where you get it from, CloudNine.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Creyole said…

    CloudNine,
    I enjoyed the story about your mother and your Louisiana heritage. (I wonder why?? LOL)

    Thanks for sharing and your locks are beautiful!!!

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger CloudNine said…

    Thanks everyone for the sweet comments...I shared them with my mother...she now wants a blog:)

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger C & C said…

    Your mom is beautiful.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Maryee said…

    One pretty fine woman! I see Fortitude!!! Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger AFunkyKindaGlow said…

    Your Mother looks very Regal!

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Detra said…

    Simply beautiful. Your parents look so cute together you are so fortunate to have a prom picture of them, I have to pull teeth to get my parents to take pictures together!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home