Sisterlocks-Look I am a beautiful butterfly

I have been in a natural hair cocoon for seven years. I started this blog to chronicle the life and times of my sisterlocks. And from time to time any other random thing that suites my fancy or draws my ever so curious mind. You are welcomed to drop me a comment anytime and feel free to link to this blog. ***Please do not copy my photos without my expressed permission***

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Oh heck naw!


I have always had a problem with over production of oil on my face and scalp. With my skin I have struggled with acne and finally in my late 20's I got that issue taken care of however, my scalp is another issue. There have been one or two times out of nowhere when I had what looked like cradle cap. (Seborrheic Dandruff as diagnosed by my dermatologist) Yes, people I said cradle cap. Not a good look for a grown woman. I am being a bit dramatic but...you understand.

This was a worry when I decided to get sisterlocks, because I am one of those women who has to wash her hair once a week. When I first started my research, a consultant in Delaware who had seborrhea dandruff said not too worry, it just met that she has to wash a bit more frequently. My sisterlock consultant and I actually discussed what seborrheic dandruff would mean for the locking process. It was just a question that I brought up, at that point in my consultation there were no issues with my scalp at all.

Today, I took a look in the mirror and yes; the front of my hair was a bit flaky. I no likey! Before sisterlocks I used different shampoo that I loved Phytojojoba. I recently washed my hair with the SL' starter shampoo not too long ago...is there a link? What do ya'll think? Maybe not...but I do not have time to play the blame game, I had a crisis on my hands.

Under the circumstances what is a gal to do except, go off protocol? I went to WholeFoods (one of my many favorite spots to shop). After doing a little research, I purchased the following: Rosemary essential oil, tea tree essential oil, witch hazel and jojoba oil. I mixed these ingrediates in a small spray bottle. The sprayed my scalp where the offense was...and volia, no flakes. Besides smelling like a tea tree forest, my scalp is back to normal and I am a happy camper.

From this and other experiences, I have learned that everything has to be in balance. A slight change in diet, sleep, stress or exercise affects me in a major way. The book that I consult most is HealthyHealing. I like the thought of using nutrition to aid my health and well being of my body. I also like the thought of doing what my mommom did, using her innate knowledge to heal her body. (Not counting the one time she called down to Florida to get a recipe to help cure my tonsillitis...for the record I do believe I still have my tonsils...I am just not certain if they function after such an assault. lol.) Everyone gets a bit overzealous on occasion.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Girl, I'm feeling you. try the Avalon organics tea tree scalp treatment. It works wonders for me. Since your hair is fine in some spots, i'd lay of the jojoba oil... just my two cents. You know your hair, so do what works for you.

    If you're interested, you can check out my september/october entries for my rants on shampoo.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger CloudNine said…

    Sunsail,I do agree with you. I only used the spray ( on the scalp) in the very front were the dryness was completely out of control. I have not and will not use the spray again until my itchy comes back...so far so good!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home