Sisterlocks-Look I am a beautiful butterfly

I have been in a natural hair cocoon for seven years. I started this blog to chronicle the life and times of my sisterlocks. And from time to time any other random thing that suites my fancy or draws my ever so curious mind. You are welcomed to drop me a comment anytime and feel free to link to this blog. ***Please do not copy my photos without my expressed permission***

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

This is my first post! I am so excited I could just....I am not sure what I could do. But I am happy! I am getting Sisterlocks on October 23-24th and I can not wait. I have been natural for more than six years and I am so tired of the press in curl. Do you feel me? One can not work out with a press-n-curl. One can not swim with a press-n-curl. I have used my press (as I call it) for too long to support "work-out avoidance." "Work-out avoidance is classic among pressed sistahs. Year after year you realize that something is going on with your waitline however you "reason" that there is absolutely nothing to be done about it. What can you do? You have a press! It is not your fault that your hair will "go-back" even thinking about the pool! Enough with this mental slavery (thanks Bob) I am so tired of the burned ears and the heavy pressin' cream! I am done. I have struggled with the "can I get away with locks in corporate america" bull. I came to the realization that this is me. Period. I have a head full of tight black nappies that I am proud of darn it and that is it. I had to change my paradigm. Seriously, I had to think about what message I was sending to myself with this "you have to press your hair nonsense." The operative words is clearly, "have to." I had to rethink what beauty is! We all have choice and mine has been made...we are just waiting for the date...Here are some pictures from the past...



2 Comments:

  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger brunsli said…

    Good luck tomorrow!! Congratulations!!

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger whanny5 said…

    I was trying to send you a comment and it made me set up an account and now I kinda forgot what the comment was that I wrote. But I think it was something like this. Nikki I love ya blog and you are so right about our perception of ourselves and the things we sacrafice due to our hair. Then I said something like "Free ya hair and the rest will follow" hahahaha Hopefully I will get to stop by your house today to see ya locks....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home