Sisterlocks-Look I am a beautiful butterfly

I have been in a natural hair cocoon for seven years. I started this blog to chronicle the life and times of my sisterlocks. And from time to time any other random thing that suites my fancy or draws my ever so curious mind. You are welcomed to drop me a comment anytime and feel free to link to this blog. ***Please do not copy my photos without my expressed permission***

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My First Retightening!


I had my first retightening on 11.30.06! O-kay ya'll did not prepare me for the pain (lol). I am not tender-headed however, this retightening hurt:) My consultant said that my hair was locking well and that I should get used to "feeling" of having my hair retightened. (Being that I scheduled appointments from now until December 2007, I guess I will have to get use to the "feeling.") (For those of you who may be new to retighening...do not dismay I tend to be dramatic:)

As ya'll have read I have been getting a few inquiries about what I have in my hair from sistahs who have SL's? Dang, after these encounters I was a tad bit nervous about this appointment, I was afraid I inadvertently messed up my hair. My consultant allayed all of my fears! I got a good report card. (I felt like I was in kindergarten...I was so excited when she told me I was doing a great job with my sisterlocks) Yay!!

There was a sista however who was getting her locks reinstalled! Yes reinstalled! Something about vigorous washing?? What?? I would have lost my natural mind if I had to have "my girls" reinstalled...

I stepped out of the house with my new tighten locks, thinking I was cute, unprepared for the sudden change in weather. We literally went from 70 degree days to 39 degree days in a matter of nanoseconds (lol) The wind whipped right though my scalp....BRRRR! After running to my car and cranking the heat...I got myself together. Can I just say I love my sisterlocks!

11 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger brunsli said…

    Pain is overrated.

    First, don't wash your hair on the same day you're going to have your hair done. Second, take an Advil. If it still hurts, she's doing something wrong.

    I had to ask my hairdresser to not retighten all the way down, since my head would sometimes hurt the next day too!

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said…

    Congrats on your 1st Retightening! Your locks look really great. They look like they are cut into a style! Anyhow I just had my hair retightened and I too experienced the pain. However my scalp did not hurt during the process it started hurting the next day.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger AFunkyKindaGlow said…

    Mine hurt too!! and I had too sleep carefully, I may take Brunsli's advice

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Goodnapps said…

    Congrats on your report. Sorry to hear about the pain though. In my 15 months of retights - only 1 vividly painful retight. I think I had too many locks that were not separated. So that's my suggestion...keep dem locks separated.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger CloudNine said…

    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

    Thanks GN for the suggestion. Now that I think about it, I do not separate at all. That may in fact be part of the issue!

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    boy oh boy do it hurt! i do my own and it hurt-but i refuse to latch tightely.but the stray hair get me all the time,ouch!

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cloudnine,

    I feel your pain, literally. I still have not posted my first retightening photos yet becuase of final exams, but that retightening hurts like hell. I guess that has to be good pain. It feels strangely exhilirating though, like you have a new head.........

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Cluizel said…

    I think I was conditioned from all of the extensions that I don't remember my retightening hurting...but I do have the tighteness for a few days since she retightens all the way down.

    You hair looks cute though!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Creyole said…

    Eeks, this is the first I've heard about pain from a Consultant. My consultant retightening have never hurt. Now, when I do my own I get just a little sore because I go for all the new growth and stray hairs. But, not pain.

    Humm...you might want to ask her not to retighten so tight because that alone can cause follicle damage.

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your hair looks great!!! Look at you working dem sunglasses!! You go, girl!!

    My retightening doesn't hurt. In fact, I'm kind of masochistic. If it doesn't hurt, I feel like my consultant is not retightening properly. Kinda like the days when the perm would burn... if it not burning, it's not straightening!! lol!!

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger BlaqKofi said…

    this is a beautiful shot of your locks. I love the look. You wear it well. I can already tell your locks are going to be more and more slammin' as they mature. I'm anxious to see your look evolve. I know it's going to be da bomb!

    My retightenings are a joy. Hopefully your uncomfortableness will pass.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home