Sisterlocks-Look I am a beautiful butterfly

I have been in a natural hair cocoon for seven years. I started this blog to chronicle the life and times of my sisterlocks. And from time to time any other random thing that suites my fancy or draws my ever so curious mind. You are welcomed to drop me a comment anytime and feel free to link to this blog. ***Please do not copy my photos without my expressed permission***

Sunday, December 10, 2006

My Soap Box


I know this blog is about my sisterlocks and my progress thereof however, after going to a benefit this past weekend...I felt I needed to post about this:

I went to a benefit for a Pediatric HIV/AIDS home in D.C., the Wright House. This house is a sanitary for children who are infected/affected by this raging epidemic. The children are picked up after school; they are feed, receive counseling, art therapy, tutoring and love among a range of other services. This home represents so much for the children it serves. All of the children are African-American and they range from just 5 years of age to 18. The director explained that though they serve a large volume of children, they could clone themselves 10X and not serve the need in the DC. There are many children who are on the waiting list to get into the Wright House, these are children who are just looking for a place to be at peace, where they can be what they were intended to be...a child.

For years I did clinical laboratory screening/research for Pediatric/Adults HIV and I am still greatly disappointed in the sheer volume of people who continue to be affected/infected by this disease. I am deeply angred by rates of infection as it relates to the Black community. For a disease that is 100% preventable... it is overwhelming to look at the statistics for the District and I am sure many other cities around the country. After this benefit I sat in the car for a very long time...I really can not comprehend how in the Nations Capitol, in one of the greatest Nations on earth this disease continues to rage with virtual impunity:

* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now estimate that more than one million Americans are living with HIV. Up to one-third of them do not know they are HIV-positive.
* It's estimated that one in every 20 adults in the District of Columbia is infected with HIV.
* D.C. has the highest rate of new AIDS cases per 100,000 population in the United States -- a rate that is 10 times the national average.
* In D.C., the greatest increase in AIDS cases is occurring among people of color, women, injection drug users and through heterosexual contact.
* In D.C., 82 percent of all AIDS cases are among African-Americans.
* More than 15,000 people in the Washington metropolitan area live with AIDS. Tens of thousands more people are estimated to be infected with HIV.
* Nationwide, someone under the age of 25 is infected with HIV every 30 minutes.

As I saw these numbers I concluded that there needs to be a paradigm shift in the Black community. We need to wake up and realize there is a generation that is being decimated right before our eyes. We can not afford to be asleep at the wheel..the consequences are too real.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger C & C said…

    those statistics are scary and pardon my ignorance but what else can we do? is it lack of education? are we sticking our heads in the sand? people always say that knowledge is power but knowledge aint jack if there is no action. “knowledge in action is true power." you can't make people do a thing. all we can do is expose them to the truth. however, even the truth doesn't get out like it should. on the michael baisden show last week, there was discussion about black churches that refuse to touch the subject. can you believe that? they pretend their congregation is lily white and no one is having sex outside of marriage, whatever. even the statistics of elderly people becoming infected are on the rise (that i am aware of in south florida).

    i volunteer with youth and know how everyone feels like its someone else’s responsibility to educate the youth. yet at the same time there are programs designed to teach the youth. many times we've had to fight tooth and nail to get those programs in the schools. we even had to fight the parents....sometimes i am pessimistic about this issue. peace

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger CloudNine said…

    locizm,

    I too feel your frustration. Sitting in my car on Friday I was near tears...I hate feeling like I am a victim. I do not have answers to such a huge issue. I wish I did. I just know that I have to do more.

    I was told once by a beloved family member that it was not my job to change the world, it was my job to change me.

    Being realistic there are socioeconomic ills etc in our society that help to fuel many of the issues we continuously see in our community, in my lifetime most of those issues may not be solved...my thought is what can I do now?

    One/ I will not go to a church or support a leader who refuses to reach out to the community, specially on issues as great and important as this. Ignorance is not acceptable, period. I do not care who you are.

    Two/Every person I know, knows what I know about HIV. We can not live our children's or loved-ones lives for them...but we can prepare them the best we can.

    Three/ This is my opinion, I boycott things that I deem to drag down and muddy our culture. How is this helpful? What does it teach? I think these type of negative misogynistic, over-sexed images help fuel and perpetuate some of the issues in our community.

    Four/I try to put my money and time where my mouth is. It is not enough to stand on my soap box.

    Locizm, it seems like you are doing more than most. I applaud your efforts! Keep up the good work and know that you have a kindred spirit in Maryland. I know that it may seem bleak when we are not seeing the results we wish to see but this issue did not occur overnight, it will need long-term persistence and dedication to solve it. You are a positive link in a long chain. Blessings.

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger Creyole said…

    Yes, I'm reminded everyday as I've had a brother-in-law and two friends die recently from full blown Aids after having HIV for so many years.

    And all we can think about is Iraq???

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger CloudNine said…

    CSE,

    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother-in-law and close friends.

    Two years ago my pastor asked those church members to stand who had known anyone who was infected or had died from AIDS. There were several hundred church members in attendance...at least 3/4 of the church stood. What does that say about the virulence of this disease?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home